Last Updated: May 5th, 2022
1. What Personal Information Do We Collect?
We collect personal information about you when you interact with us. The types of information we may ask for depends on the nature of your interaction with us. This information may include:
- Account information. We collect the information you provide us when you create an account, such as your name, email address, and profile photo. We may also collect additional information provided to us when you connect your account to third-party services, such as GitHub.
- Payment information. When purchasing a product, we may receive certain billing information about you, such as your billing country or the last 4 digits of your credit card.
Note that we do not collect sensitive payment information like full credit card numbers or billing addresses; that information is collected by our merchant of record, Paddle Inc., and is never made available to us.
- Communication information. We may collect the information you provide us when you communicate with us for support, give us feedback, participate in our events, or otherwise interact with us.
- Device information. We may collect information about your browser and device such as your IP address, browser type, operating system type, unique device identifier and log information.
- Analytics information. We may collect information about your usage of our Sites using tracking snippets (eg. Google Analytics). These tools provide aggregate insights, including information about which pages were viewed, and for how long. These snippets operate using cookies and other locally-stored technologies. The information collected about your activity on our Sites includes pages viewed and access time. We do our best to respect user privacy by enabling the most restrictive data collection options possible in regards to the Do Not Tracksetting.
- Preferences information. Using cookies or local storage, we track certain preferences, such as whether or not “Dark mode” is enabled. You can erase this data by clearing site data through your browser developer tools.
- Progress information. If you've purchased an online course, certain progress data is tracked in your account, including the lessons you have completed, and the URLs for submitted assignments.
2. Why do we collect your personal information?
We use your personal information for the following purposes:
- For general business administration purposes.
- To fulfill purchases, by setting up and managing your account on our Sites.
- For customer support, to respond to support tickets and help troubleshoot problems.
- To protect you and us against error.
- To assess and manage operational risks.
- To conduct research and analysis for the development of our products and services.
- To maintain, improve and analyze our Sites and the products we offer.
- To communicate with you about existing and new services, products, and offers by email, as permitted under Canada’s Anti-Spam Legislation (CASL).
- To customize your experience on our Sites to your particular preferences or interests.
3. Who do we share your personal information with?
For the purposes set out above, we may disclose your personal information to:
- Our employees, agents, and subsidiaries.
- Third-party service providers to process or handle personal information on our behalf.
- Government agencies and law enforcement or regulatory authorities when required by law.
- Our insurers and external legal advisors.
- In the event of a merger, acquisition sale or reorganization, or the potential thereof, we may disclose information about you to the extent the personal information is necessary to carry on the business or activity that was the object of the transaction. In the event of a completed transaction, notice will be given to affected users.
We do not and will never sell your personal information to others.
4. Where do we store your personal information?
We and our third-party service providers may be required to disclose your personal information to the courts, government authorities, law enforcement or regulatory authorities of the country where personal information is being stored in response to a valid demand or request in accordance with applicable laws.
5. How long will we use, disclose and retain your personal information?
We will retain your personal information only for as long as necessary to accomplish the identified purpose for which it was collected, or as required by law. When your personal information is no longer needed, or once we are no longer required to retain it, we will erase it.
6. How do we protect your personal information?
We employ reasonable technical, administrative, and physical safeguards and security measures to protect your personal information from unauthorized access, use, disclosure, copying, loss, misuse, alteration, modification or destruction.
7. How can you access and update your personal information?
For registered users, you can edit your saved personal information on the My Account page.
For any other information, please communicate with us using the methods listed at the bottom of this document. You have the right to access and correct the information we have about you after we have received your written request and authenticated your identity. To process your request, we may ask you to provide us with information to verify your identity and confirm the scope of your request. Subject to legal restrictions or specific rights of refusal, we will inform you of the existence, use and disclosure of personal information relating to you and give you access to that information.
If you identify any personal information that is out-of-date, incorrect or incomplete, let us know. If we agree, we will make the corrections and will make reasonable efforts to communicate these changes to other parties with whom we shared the information.
There may be limits on your right to access your information, for example, if the information is subject to legal privilege, contains confidential commercial information, relates to an investigation of a breach of an agreement or law, or contains information of other individuals that cannot be separated.
8. Links to other websites
9. Electronic communications
When you subscribe to our newsletter or purchase a product, you'll receive occasional promotional emails from us. At any time, you may opt out of receiving such messages by following the unsubscribe instructions in each email. Please note that even if you opt out of promotional emails, we will continue to send you important account-related information.
10. Withdrawal of consent
Registered users may decide, at any time, to terminate their account. To proceed, please contact us using the methods at the bottom of this document. Please note that by closing your account, we will be unable to provide or to continue to provide our services to you.
11. Children privacy
You must be at least 18 years of age or be of legal age of majority in your jurisdiction to use or access our Sites.
We do not knowingly collect personal information directly from children. If you are a parent or guardian and you are aware that your child has provided us with personal information, please contact us. If we become aware that we have collected personal information from children, we will take reasonable steps to locate and remove that information from our servers and records.
12. Changes to this policy
13. Contacting us
If you have any questions, concerns, or requests relating to our handling of your personal information, please direct them to the contact information listed below. We may need to ask you for personal information to verify your identity.
By email: email@example.com
390 Saint-Catherine Ouest #39013,
Montreal, QC, Canada
If, having shared your concerns with us, you are not satisfied with our answers, you may file a complaint with a privacy regulator, such as the Office of the Privacy Commissioner of Canada by mail at 30 Victoria Street Gatineau, Quebec K1A 1H3 or by calling 1.800.282.1376.